Movie List 2022 https://www.brunomassa.com/en/blog/movie-list-2022/ Bruno Massa
Movie List 2022
Slow year, I assume.
- CODA ( ): a heart-melting story about a girl that wants to be a singer. Her parents, however, are all deaf and need her to manage work and fit in. It was my favorite movie for the 2022 Oscars.
- Being Ricardos ( ): very interesting movie about the production of the “I Love Lucy” TV show that I did not know. Both Nicole and Javier are superb, deserving acting award nominations.
- Dune ( ) ( ): I read Dune to prepare myself as I did with Foundation. But unlike Asimov’s weird adaptation, this Frank Herbert novel movie is phenomenal. It’s just part 1, which leaves several subplots opened, still: gorgeous, fun, and well-written and acted.
- Marighella ( ): the first black leader against the military dictatorship in Brazilian history.
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ( ): lighthearted MCU movie. Funny characters and a fun story. One of the best comic MCU movies. Yet, it’s not my cup of tea.
- King Richard ( ): the story of Serena and Venus Williams’ father and their beginnings in the tennis world. Nice performance of Will Smith (not my pick for the best actor performance, like at the Oscar), but the character is so annoying that I got annoyed.
- The Menu ( ): my first movie at the theater. Nice thriller.
- The Matrix Resurrections ( ): meta meta meta. And boring. Despite the very first movie, the Matrix franchise is a big disappointment.
No one this year :(
- Forky Asks A Question ( ): holy molly… I laughed out loud at this Pixar mini-series.
- Ted Lasso (S2) ( ): showrunners tried to innovate the formula by telling whole episodes from the perspective of secondary characters. Not all that great. Still, among our favorites.
- Bad Sisters (S1) ( ): A Rotten Tomatoes recommendation, it was a blast. The Prick is a prick. Recommend.
- This is Us (S1) ( ): great premise and lovable characters. Themes of adoption, family bonds, and personal differences. I cried in several episodes. Great start.
- Sandman (S1) ( ): I loved the comics. I read exactly the amount of the source material that was used in this season, so I knew the references. Very well produced. The side stories are odd at first but then we get the overall arch, just like the comics.
- Succession (S3) ( ): the worst season so far. It tries to give at least one full episode for each main character, but many episodes are fillers. Also, the number of cataclysmic events that are just ignored in the next episode is getting old. Unlike “Game of Thrones”, no one will die. One day the audience will not care because nothing is really at the stake. Kendall is too annoying for my taste.
- The Devil's Hour (S1) ( ): Thriller about a woman and her boy having some kind of paranormal abilities. Murders and police investigations are in the mix. A Rotten Tomatoes highly rated that did not click for me.
- The Foundation (S1) ( ): I loved the book, but this adaptation drifted from the source material to the point is unrecognizable. I could not pass the 4th episode.